The World Church Peace and Justice Team originally was established by World Conference action in 1982 and was more clearly defined in 2000 to explore issues of peace and justice. As a team that represents lay members and ministers in addressing peace and justice questions of the world church body, the team is uniquely able to pursue issues that cross jurisdictional boundaries and that are of importance to the worldwide church.
Pursue Peace on Earth is the primary focus for the team with an additional focus on justice issues that are essential for pursuing peace.
Team Priorities for 2016-2019
- Follow up on WCR 1311 Palestine and Israel (Adopted June 10, 2016) as initial focus.
- Continue to respond to WCR 1303 as identified in the resolved about the Peace and Justice Team’s responsibilities.
- Collaborate with ministers focused on needs for justice and peace initiatives related to Palestine and Israel.
- Identify and support a network of peace and justice teams and ministries around the church, facilitating communication and offering support.
- Engage in conversation with the First Presidency to consider future peace award recipients.
Shandra Newcom, team leader
Andrew Bolton, secretary