Minimizing Claims and Reducing Premiums
The dollar amount that is allocated each year to congregations, mission centers, and campgrounds for property and liability insurance is at least in part—CONTROLLABLE. There are some specific things that can be done to either prevent losses or to reduce their degree of severity.
We would encourage you to implement the following types of preventive maintenance and security projects that are most appropriate for your facility as your funds permit:
- Burglary, fire and smoke alarm systems
- Changing locks
- Exterior security lighting
- Lightning rods
- Cages around A/C units
- Drainage control measures
- Check valve installation in floor drains
- Sidewalk crack repair
- Have someone double check: faucets off, candles out, etc.
- Maintain the roof to avoid leaks.
- Protect exposed faucets and water pipes in winter to avoid freezing.
- Keep tree limbs trimmed away from buildings and neighbors property.
- Minimize the growth of mold.
- Complete an annual "loss control checklist" to help keep your building/property well maintained.
- Others as applicable (Let us know your ideas, and we will add them to the list.)
Fewer claims mean you pay fewer deductibles. Additionally, fewer claims mean that over time the premiums we pay our carriers for our policies will be lower. That means a lower annual allocation to your jurisdiction. You also avoid a great deal of hassle in dealing with claim issues, when you could be offering your ministry.
As always, your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.