The children and youth worker application form is part of the process Community of Christ uses to screen those who wish to work directly with children and young people. Priesthood members and anyone working with youth in church programs (youth leader, Sunday school teacher, camp counselor, etc.) must be a registered children and youth worker (RCYW) or a RCYW assistant. Remember that registration is two-fold: completing the application process & attending the required training.
It is important to note that those applying are not registered until the child protection team in the Office of General Counsel (OGC) at International Headquarters checks and authenticates the forms. The intent of the application is to help the church provide a safe and secure environment for young people and to help identify and best utilize the gifts and skills of applicants.
Application Process Summary
- Once the applicant fills out the application, it should be given to the pastor. In some situations, the congregation or mission center may have designated another person to process youth worker applications instead of the pastor. If so, the pastor will ensure the application is given to the appropriate person. The pastor or designated person will contact the references listed and personally interview the applicant to determine whether the person is suitable to become a registered children and youth worker/RCYW assistant. In rare instances a camp director may need to complete the interview and references check. This always should be done with the appropriate pastor’s knowledge.
- Once the pastor or designated person completes their review of the application, it must be sent to the appropriate mission center officer for review. If the Mission Center officer is comfortable with the applicant becoming a registered children and youth worker/RCYW assistant, the Mission Center officer will sign in the appropriate place.
- Mission center officers should ensure the applicant has a Shelby profile created and then send the application to the OGC child protection team for review at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OGC will review the application, and, if approved, the registered youth worker status code will be entered into the applicant’s Shelby profile. OGC will contact the mission center with confirmation of registration as soon as possible.
- If successful, those applicants 21 and older will be registered as Registered Children and Youth Workers, those applicants 15–20 years old as RCYW assistants.
Things to Remember When Submitting Applications
- Over the period of May–August it is common to receive large quantities of applications, so there may be some delay. Please allow sufficient time, prior to the scheduled camp/event for the application to be processed. If you require more urgent confirmation, please e-mail or call (816) 833-1000, ext. 2223.
- In some church jurisdictions, police background checks are required by law. This requirement is in addition to the Community of Christ registration process and is not currently a church-wide policy for youth worker registration. Please be sure to check local requirements.
- If a period longer than six months elapses between application and receipt at OGC, the forms must be resubmitted.
- If a Mission Center officer believes a youth worker should no longer be allowed to work with children and youth, please contact the Office of General Counsel to discuss revoking or suspending a youth worker’s registration.