The Health and Wholeness Team was established as a team by World Conference 2013 to focus on issues of health, wholeness, and well-being for our membership and others. As created beings of God, we are called to walk with God, in making responsible choices about our body, mind, spirit, and relationships.
The Health and Wholeness Team is focused on Sacredness of Creation, Worth of All Persons, and Responsible Choices. The emphasis on health and wholeness intertwines the physical, mental, and spiritual into the holistic lifestyle modeled by Jesus Christ. Spirit and element have been a mantra of the Restoration from its inception.
- Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit.... —Malachi 2:15
- Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own... Therefore, honor God with your bodies. —I Corinthians 6:19-20
- By its [the Temple’s] ministries, an attitude of wholeness of body, mind, and spirit as a desirable end toward which to strive will be fostered.—Doctrine and Covenants 156:5c
Related Basic Beliefs
Humanity: Every human being is created in the image of God. In Jesus Christ, God took on the limits of human flesh and culture, and is known through them. We therefore affirm without exception the worth of every human being. We also affirm that God has blessed humankind with the gift of agency: the ability to choose whom or what we will serve within the circumstances of our lives.
Peace: Peace is God’s shalom: justice, righteousness, wholeness, and the well-being of the entire creation. Jesus, the Prince of Peace, came to preach the kingdom and to be our peace through the cross. The Holy Spirit empowers us for the costly pursuit of peace and justice for all people.
Related Enduring Principles
Sacredness of Creation
- We join with God as stewards of care and hope for all creation [including ourselves, as created beings of God.]
Worth of All Persons
- God views all people as having inestimable and equal worth.
- God wants all people to experience wholeness of body, mind, spirit, and relationships.
- We are called to make responsible choices within the circumstances of our lives that contribute to the
purposes of God.
Pursuit of Peace
- God wants shalom (justice, reconciliation, well-being, wholeness, and peace) for all of creation.
Team Priorities for 2016-2019
- Promote wholeness and well-being to our church at-large, encouraging members to make responsible, healthy choices, within the circumstances of their lives, which nurture wholeness of body, mind, and spirit, and relationships. This includes priority attention given to children and youth.
- Provide periodic updates on the Health Ministries Association website and on the Team page of the Church website, regarding resources that promote health and wholeness and align with Community of Christ Identity, Mission, Message and Beliefs.
- Collaborate with the Communications Team on how messages from the Health and Wholeness Team can be shared in the Herald (and other means of communication with the church, like 10- Minute News and E-news).
- Explore the use of “podcasts,” (and the use of Facebook or Twitter) to provide educational sessions for people who are interested in healthy lifestyles and how to integrate healthy lifestyles with spiritual practices that promotes wholeness of body, mind and spirit, and relationship.
- Continue the work on the resource, “Health and Wholeness History of the Church.”
- Identify essential outcomes from the 2015 Needs Assessment and develop strategies in how to provide information and education to members and congregations.
- Create resources to support health and wholeness in members related to congregational health ministries and possible worship/Sunday School/reunion materials.
Kathy Robinson, team leader
Kathy Shockley, secretary