Community of Christ

Plano

Visit - Plano

Plano Stone Church

The Plano congregation was organized on April 21, 1861, and met at the home of Elder James Horton. In May 1868, church members passed a resolution to build a church. In a show of support and encouragement, townspeople contributed liberally to the endeavor, and a local merchant donated the land. Plano Stone Church was completed and dedicated in November 1868. The original pews and pulpit, made from native lumber by church members, are still in use.

Joseph Smith III (church president and prophet from 1860–1914) and his family lived in Plano from 1866–1881. The Plano Stone Church served as headquarters for the denomination during that time and fourteen General Conferences of the church were hosted here. Plano was also home to Herald Publishing House and numerous church publications, including the Saints’ Herald, the Holy Scriptures, the 1874 edition of the Book of Mormon, and the first Zion’s Hope, were published there. In 1974 Plano Stone Church was designated a Kendall County historic landmark, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.

Plan Your Visit

Guided Tours

Free tours of the Plano Stone Church are available by appointment.

Map

PrintFriendly