In 1870 a stewardship association of church members, known as the Order of Enoch, purchased over three thousand acres of land in southern Iowa as a place for gathering. Church headquarters relocated to the emerging community in 1881 and Joseph III made Liberty Hall his home.
Liberty Hall was built in 1881 and until 1905 was home to Joseph Smith III, church president from 1860–1914. The church was headquartered in Iowa, and Liberty Hall was a center of social and religious life for the community. According to Joseph III, “Liberty Hall throbbed with life, teeming with the bustling activities of a large and growing family. Birth, death, and marriage occurred within its walls...joys and sorrows succeeded each other as days the nights.” Four church presidents lived in Liberty Hall.
After the departure of the Smith Family, Liberty Hall served as a home for the aged, a farmhouse, Civilian Conservation Corps headquarters, and a private residence. Now restored to its 1900–1905 Victorian style, the home reflects the culture of the large, middle-class Smith family living in a small midwestern town, as well as the heritage of Community of Christ.
Plan Your Visit
LIBERTY HALL IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO COVID-19.