Letter of Counsel Regarding the Presiding Quorums
3 May 2011
To the church:
- Apostle James E. Slauter has asked to be released from the Council of Twelve Apostles and granted early retirement from World Church appointment. Apostle Slauter has made this request to be in a better position to provide more support to his grandson, Matthew, who has serious health concerns. Jim’s request is for the noblest of reasons, motivated by Christ-like love for Matthew and wholehearted commitment to the well-being of his family.
- After prayerful consideration, I present my testimony of the Spirit’s confirmation of the intent and timing of this request. Therefore, Apostle James E. Slauter will be released from the Council of Twelve Apostles and granted the honor of retirement from World Church appointment effective August 1, 2011. Since this is an executive decision by the president of the church, no further action is required.
- The Spirit also bears witness that James E. Slauter is called to the office of evangelist. Brother Slauter’s worldwide ministerial experience, familiarity with the Spirit, and compassionate sensitivity to the suffering of wounded people more than equip him for this ministry. Jim may be assured that his innate apostolic witness of the Living Christ will not be lost because of his departure from the Council of Twelve, but will be expressed in both familiar and new ways in his ministry as an evangelist.
- On behalf of the church, I want to thank Jim and his wife, Jan, for their 24 years of faithful appointee ministry. Jim served for 15 years in the Council of Twelve in various apostolic assignments, including the Great Lakes Field and the Latin America and Caribbean Field. He was elected secretary of the Council of Twelve in 2002 and was set apart as president of the Council of Twelve in 2005. He also was assigned as director of Field Ministries in 2005. Throughout his service in the Council of Twelve, Jim displayed all the ministerial and leadership gifts needed for effective ministry as an apostle. He may retire assured that his service is fully acceptable to God and deeply appreciated by the worldwide church and all of his colleagues.
In the Peace of Christ,
Stephen M. Veazey
President of the Church
- Letter of Counsel Regarding the Presiding Quorums from President Stephen M. Veazey (PDF)
- Letter from President of the Council of Twelve and Director of Field Ministries James E. Slauter (PDF)
- Letter of support from the Council of Twelve Apostles (PDF)
- Letter of Counsel Regarding the Presiding Quorums (PDF)
- Apostolic Assignments effective August 1, 2011 (PDF)