Under leadership of...

Tour Information

Plano Stone Church
304 S. Center Street
Plano, IL 60545

Free tours of the Plano Stone Church are available by appointment. Contact Dennis Ramer for information and reservations.

Dennis Ramer
dennisramer@comcast.net
815-751-1083

Window in the Plano Stone Church

Detail of bench

Plano Stone Church

Plano Stone Church
Photo courtesy Terri Edwards

The Plano congregation was organized on April 21, 1861, and met at the home of Elder James Horton. In May 1868, church members passed a resolution to build a church. In a show of support and encouragement, townspeople contributed liberally to the endeavor and a local merchant donated the land. Plano Stone Church was completed and dedicated in November 1868. The original pews and pulpit, made from native lumber by church members, are still in use.

Joseph Smith III (church president and prophet from 1860–1914) and his family lived in Plano from 1866–1881. The Plano Stone Church served as headquarters for the denomination during that time and fourteen General Conferences of the church were hosted here. Plano was also home to Herald Publishing House and numerous church publications, including the Saints’ Herald, the Holy Scriptures, the 1874 edition of the Book of Mormon, and the first Zion’s Hope were published in the town. In 1974 Plano Stone Church was designated a Kendall County historic landmark, and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.