Centennial Performances of the Independence Messiah Choir (1916–2016)
1, 2, 3, and 4 December 2016, at Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, 1601 Broadway, Kansas City, MO 64108. The Thursday performance is at 7:00 p.m., Friday and Saturday performances are at 8:00 p.m., and the Sunday performance is at 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday evenings from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m., 27 September to 22 November at the Community of Christ Auditorium, 1001 W. Walnut, Independence, MO 64050.
Performance Week at Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts, 1601 Broadway, Kansas City, MO 64108. Except for the first rehearsal, call times for the choir are one hour before the times given.
- Monday, 28 November: Chorus Rehearsal from 7:00-10:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, 29 November: Rehearsal with Orchestra and Chorus from 7:00-10:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, 30 November: Dress Rehearsal from 7:00-10:00 p.m.
- Thursday, 1 December: 7:00 p.m. Performance
- Friday, 2 December: 8:00 p.m. Performance
- Saturday, 3 December: 8:00 p.m. Performance
- Sunday, 4 December: 2:00 p.m. Performance
2016 auditions are held on 15-17 July at Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church, 9300 Nall Ave, Overland Park, KS 66207. Independence Messiah Choir shares an audition process with the Kansas Symphony Chorus since Charles Bruffy rehearses and auditions both choirs. Interested persons who cannot audition on these dates may contact the Messiah Choir office at the email or phone below to make other arrangements.
Who needs to audition?
Anyone who has not sung with the Independence Messiah Choir in the past three years (2013, 2014 or 2015) needs to audition to join this year’s choir.
How to sign up for an audition
Review the current sign-up times with your schedule
- Friday 15 July: Noon – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday 16 July: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday 17 July: Noon – 5:00 p.m.
Complete the Kansas City Symphony's Audition Information Form. When you are asked "What Chorus are you auditioning for" in the form, select "Independence Messiah Choir" from the drop down menu.
Show up to the audition at Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church with a prepared solo and a second copy of the music for the provided accompanist. The solo can be an art song, hymn, or folk song (avoid musical theatre or pop songs). Also be prepared to vocalize (for range) and sight read.
Messiah at The Groves
Many members of the Independence Messiah Choir volunteer for an additional performance of Handel’s Messiah at The Groves, a local retirement community. Date and time to be determined.
Charles Bruffy leads the rehearsals for the Independence Messiah Choir. Guest conductor Lawrence Cummings conducts the 2016 performances of Handel’s Messiah.
Any choir member wishing to bring the opening prayer can tell Madora Graffeo or Peter Judd at rehearsal or leave a message on the Messiah Choir phone line at (816) 833-1000 ext. 1435 or by e-mail.
The Independence Messiah Choir uses the Novello/Watkins Shaw edition of Messiah. Unbound copies will be available at the first rehearsal for $10.00 each. Singers are responsible for putting their scores into a black notebook or folder for the performances.
- All rehearsals are required. All singers must attend all rehearsals in their entirety unless previously arranged. See Contact Information below if you have a rehearsal conflict or an emergency. We are all vocal athletes, and rehearsals put us in top shape!
- Always check in, and be in your assigned seat at 6:55 p.m., warmed up and prepared with pencil and score.
- You are a vocal athlete—start getting in shape now!
- No perfume, cologne, garlic, scented hairspray, or other allergy-inducing substances.
- If you are ill, but not contagious, it is helpful to sit in the audience seats during rehearsal and mentally rehearse with the choir. If you are contagious, please stay home—see Contact Information below for ways to let us know you’ll be absent.
- All rehearsals are CLOSED. Please do not bring children to rehearsals. Adult family members and/or friends may attend only with prior permission from Messiah staff. Call 816-833-1000, ext. 1435 or e-mail.
For tickets visit the Kansas City Symphony website. In past years choir members had access to a limited number of promotional or discounted tickets. Choir members will be informed of any discounts at rehearsal.